SaturDance - San Francisco
Indoor ecstatic dance has shut down around the bay due to covid... however it does continue in an online form and an outdoor form. This particular one, "SaturDance" in Golden Gate park, is a bit like silent disco. Bring a good bluetooth headset and your phone to tune into https://mixlr.com/djgabrielfrancisco. A few people may also bring their little speaker systems, which is nice because headphones could be hit or miss. It's run by the fabulous Gabriel Francisco who has always been very involved and respected in the ecstatic community.
- What: Amazing outdoor ecstatic dance / silent disco event
- Cost: Anything you want via Venmo or Paypal (no fixed price)
- When: Every Saturday 2pm-5pm
- Where: East Hellman Hollow Meadow, Golden Gate park (map) - not far from the big tree - if you arrive at 2pm you might not see many people, just a small group laying down (music might start late or very soft). Only by 3pm is it easy to see the group dancing more energetically.
- What to wear: Suitable dance attire, you'll be bear foot... see more here.
- Website: facebook.com/superherohiphop or search for "SaturDance" on Facebook (to see the latest one).
What is Ecstatic Dance
I think the best thing you can do, for a full explanation, is to read my Ecstatic Dance article. It explains things in depth. Covid has forced out outdoors, but that is actually a wonderful thing!
Golden Gate Park Venue
This is a fabulous place to bring a little picnic. People keep their distance, but I've had fun bringing a little towel so I can get someone to hold the other end of the towel and you can thus *kind of* dance with someone that way. :)
Often there's 30-40 people... depends on the day. There will be plenty of other people in the park, so hopefully you're not shy about the idea that other people can see you. Because yes, they will see you dance. Who cares! :)
Don't forget some headphones, sunglasses and sunscreen! Parking can be tricky, but if you have your own car you might even decide to bring a little picnic.