Fire dancing, also known as fire performing, fire spinning, is a wonderful expression of art and dance often known as "flow arts".
- Fire Safety for Fire Dancing - simple article with some novel fire dancing strategy.
- Fire Dancing - Safety Manual - a long safety article I wrote.
- Fire Dancing - Hawaii - places in Hawaii to do (or just watch) fire dancing.
Types of Props
There are many types of "props" people dance with. Just a few are:
- Static props: (think: anything stiff)
- Fire staff & Dragon staff - Where the dragon stick is usually a cross at the end of the stick.
- fire swords - As it sounds.. sometimes a real sword (legit!), sometimes more like a bat.
- Fire knives - Traditional Samoan cultural implement that is used in ceremonial dances.
- palm torch & fire fingers - Very easy to use as they extend from your palm or fingers.
- Dynamic props: (anything with rope)
Fire dancing started in Samoa with the fire knife used in ceremonial dance. It was originally composed of a machete wrapped in towels on both ends with a portion of the blade exposed in the middle. Fire knives are traditionally only danced with tribal drums, and they have annual competitions.