Fusion mixes the best of free form dance with the best of partner dancing. No defined dance style, and you just dance with lead-follow, in any way that feels good. Depending on the venue, you will see jazz moves, slow dance, contemporary, everything... some of the guys even know how to do lifts. Each song you are mostly likely with a different partner.
I didn't really discover Fusion properly until 2019! Unbelievable it took me that long, because there are venues all over the bay area.
Unlike the ecstatic dance events (which I also love) there I haven't seen people rolling around on the floor... the music is often a mixture of jazz pop and... well anything. I want to go to more and more of these events, but the first big one I discovered (thanks to my friends Lindsey and Amanda) blew me away.
This dance is every second week on Saturday nights, and I decide to photograph their schedule for 2019.
- What: Incredible dance fusion / blues fusion event
- Cost: Only $12 at the door... $17 if you want a lesson.
- When: First and third Saturdays from 9:30 to 1 AM ... And an all levels lesson 8:30 to 9:30
- Where: St. Gregory’s Episcopal Church, 500 De Haro St, San Francisco, CA (map) (Potrero Hill)
- What to wear: Most guys are jeans and t-shirts or similar, women often wear salsa like dresses etc. Carefully with big earrings as a hazard.
- Website: missionfusion.com
The venue itself is really beautiful... they have some snacks you can eat (cheese and biscuits, plus little platters of tomatoes etc), you label your paper cup (which is fantastic) and there's wonderfully high ceilings.
- Salsa by the Bay - appears to be the best resource out there for listing salsa [events] and [venues].
... keep an eye out for: Sabrosa Thursdays.