Bard is a large language model (LLM) chatbot developed by Google AI and released in March 2023. It is based on Google's PaLM family of LLMs and is designed to engage in open-ended, informative, and comprehensive conversations with users. Bard draws on information from the real world through Google Search and keeps its response consistent with search results. It can also access information from a number of Google apps and services, including YouTube, Maps, Hotels, Flights, Gmail, Docs, and Drive.
Bard can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Answering questions: Bard can answer a wide range of questions, from simple factual queries to more complex open-ended questions. It can also provide summaries of factual topics or create stories.
- Generating creative text formats: Bard can generate different creative text formats, such as poems, code, scripts, musical pieces, email, letters, etc. It can also translate languages.
- Helping with tasks: Bard can help with a variety of tasks, such as scheduling appointments, booking travel, and managing finances.
- Providing entertainment: Bard can provide entertainment by telling jokes, playing games, and writing stories.
Bard is still under development, but it has learned to perform many kinds of tasks.
Honestly I wasn't as impressed by Bard as ChatGPT, but it is nice that sometimes it includes images in the results.
Select Bard Examples
Here's a bard example with images in the results:
And here's my favorite entry ever where I asked it to write an epitaph for Google:
... actually I lie. My friend Ben got an even funnier more confronting answer in an earlier (mid 2023) version of bard calling out Sundar dropping the ball on AI and allowing itself to be dominated by click-bate and letting it's "don't be evil" erode. Wish I could find it!
- ChatGPT - The most famous one.