Amazon.com, Inc., is a multinational technology company based in Seattle, with 750,000 employees. It focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence. It is considered one of the Big Four tech companies, along with Google, Apple, and Microsoft.
|• Amazon's annual revenue:||$280 billion (2019) (see Wikipedia)|
|• Amazon's annual profit:||$11 billion (2019 net income)|
|• Amazon's share price:||$1960 (April 2020) (see NASDAQ: AMZN)|
|• Amazon's number of employees:||750,000 (2020) (and can grow up to 30% a year)|
|• Founded:||1994 by Jeff Bezos, who is now Chairman, President & CEO|
|• Location:||Headquarters Seattle, but about 20 locations.|
|• Services:||7 countries and has 21 fulfillment centers around the globe.|
|• Customer base:||~310 million active customer accounts, 90 million of which are Amazon Prime members.|
Amazon.com is primarily a retail site with a sales revenue model - it makes money by taking a small % of the sale price of each item sold through its website. Amazon also allows companies to advertise their products by paying to be listed as featured products.
Amazon's Main Products
Amazon is more than just an online store - they has a huge amount of computer resourcing and provide services for clustered computing, networking, content delivery, salable databases, deployment/management products, application services, payment and crowd-sourcing. Some of their main products are:
- Amazon Store - online shopping for electronics, apparel, computers, books and almost anything. What gives Amazon such a great public rep is probably their great customer service - they do returns and can e-mail/text every step in delivery. Also their prices are cheap as they don't include state stales tax (because their only physical presence is in Seattle).
- Amazon Cloud Drive - comes with 5 GB of free storage for personal use.
- Amazon Kindle - a cheap tablet for reading books.
- Amazon Mechanical Turk (mTurk) - enables companies to access thousands of global workers on demand for simple "HITs" (Human Intelligence Tasks).
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) - a web service that provides resizable compute capacity in the cloud. Amazon EC2 presents a true virtual computing environment and is designed to make web-scale computing easier for developers.
- ... and more products listed here.
Amazon Kindle Fire
- Amazon Kindle Fire:
- $200 RRP.
- 14% tablet market share following soaring sales in in last quarter of 2011 where 3.9 million Fire tablets were shipped. (stats here).
- Apple's market share in the tablet arena dropped from 64% in Q3 to 57% in Q4, with Fire nabbing 14% (2011). -- Techcrunch Feb 2012.
- US = ~half of tablet sales.